General – A.I. de Villiers

General AI de Villiers.
After the skirmish on Sandkop, Rundle’s headquarters was stationed in Senekal with Brabant’s Colonial Division (made up of 3,000 volunteers enlisted in the Cape Colony) on Hammonia near Wonderkop. In the meantime the British Lieutenant-Colonel Spragge, was in trouble with the company of General Piet de Wet in the region of Lindley. Spragge asked Rundle for help. Rundle however, was not prepared to march 50 km to Lindley and by so doing put his own position in danger. He telegraphed his decision to Brabant at Hammonia. He did however say that he was prepared to stage a show of power north of Bismuths and in so doing draw and divide the attention of the Boers at Lindley. This telegram was intercepted by the Boers and therefore they were fully cognisant of Rundle’s decision.
The Boers in front against Rundle was under the chief order of General Andries I. de Villiers and consisted of the following Commandos:
•Ladybrand commando under command of Commandant Jan Crowther;
•Senekal Commando under command of General AI de Villiers;
•Ficksburg Commando under command of Commandant Paul de Villiers;
•Wepener Commando under command of Commandant Paul Roux;
•Smithfield Commando under command of Commandant J. Potgieter;
•Thaba’Nchu Commando under command of Commandant Robert Crowther.
General Al de Villiers and his martial court stationed the main power as follows:
The Headquarters was on the north eastern side of Biddulphsberg. There were also soldiers right around the northern point of the mountain
and right to the north western foot of the mountain. Field cornet Meyer from Ladybrand Commando together with his men, was on the road to Bethlehem on the southern side of Biddulphsberg. Field cornet Ferreira and his 31 men with two Corporals, namely Petrus Rautenbach and
Gert Delport, were hidden approximately 1,000 yards north of the mountain in a dry dam. Commandant I. Jacobsz and 60 men were at the foot of Platkop directly opposite Biddulphsberg on the southern side. Field cornet Van Rooyen and his men were also south of the mountain but on the northern side of the way to Bethlehem. Finally field cornet P.A. Froneman was near Tafelkop to ensure safety on that side.
On the Boer side, General de Villiers was badly wounded and later died. A few other received light wounds. English sources say that 40
Boers were wounded or died, but this statement is untrue. No Senekal citizen’s name appear on the Burger Monument at the Senekal Mother
Church under the date 29 May 1900. Only the names of Senekal citizens that belonged to the Senekal congrigation, appear on the monument.
Because general de Villiers was not a resident of Senekal, his name does not appear there.The day after the battle, 30 May 1900, cease fire agreement was reached between the fighting parties. It was a phenomenon that happened a lot in the Anglo Boer War, and this war was often referred to as “A Gentleman’s War”.
The wounded general de Villiers was taken to Senekal to the home of parson Paul Roux by Vilonel, where he was attended to by Mrs Roux. But firstly he was attended to by the English medical personnel on request of commandant Crowther. Later he died of his wounds as was buried elsewhere. Except for general de Villiers and a certain Nel that was hit in the face by a dumdum bullet, the casualties on the Boer side were slight.
The loss on the British side, according to the History of the War in South Africa, amounted to 185 men of whom 47 were killed or died of
wounds (including one officer),(7) 130 wounded and eight missing. By contrast, the Boer loss was minimal – two men were killed or died of
wounds and three were wounded. There being no doctor with the Boer force they arranged with Sir L Rundle for Gen De Villiers’ removal to
Senekal where he died.
Roberts soon realised that although Pretoria had fallen into his hands the war was hardly at an end. There were still too many areas under Boer control and the lines of communication in the Free State were poorly guarded and vulnerable to Boer attacks. On 29 May 1900 General AJ de Villiers dealt General Sir Leslie Rundle a severe blow at Biddulphsberg near Senekal and two days later General Piet De Wet followed up the success at Lindley. To add insult to injury general CR de Wet managed to capture British supplies worth 500 000 pounds at Roodewal on 7 June 1900.
He was buried in an unknown grave in President Brand cemetery,  Bloemfontein.