Cradock – Cradock club

The building in Dundas Street in Cradock, which houses the Cradock Club, was constructed around 1850. The Cradock Club was established in 1881, the same year that the railway line from Port Elizabeth reached the town.

During the Anglo-Boer War, which took place between 1899 and 1902, the club was used as a mess by officers of the Sherwood Forresters Regiment, who out of gratitude donated their Burmese Teak dining room table, twelve chairs and a writing table to the club. The items of furniture are still in excellent condition, and priceless, and stand in the dining room of the club

Leave a Reply