Pilgrims Rest – Louis Trichard 1938 memorial

 

This monument is in remembrance of the 1938 Great Trek. It is found on the banks of the Blyde /river, across the Joubert Bridge (this bridge was named after the Commandant Piet Jobert, it was built in 1896 over the Blyde River to ling the town to Lydenberg).
Louis Trichardt was one of the great Boer leaders who visited Pilgrim’s Rest looking for a route to the harbour in Lorenco Marques, now known as Maputo.