This former tavern was opened in 1887, two and half years after Barberton was founded. It is typical of the wood and iron buildings which characterised the gold-fields of the Eastern Transvaal during the last quarter of the previous century. After the “Globe” had been restored by Mr. Louis Barnes, it was declared a National Monument in 1979. It was built in 1887. It is not open to the public.