Barberton – ABW blockhouse

This fort dates from 1901 and is an example of the earliest design (made of wood and iron guard) of the British Blockhouse in South Africa. During the Anglo-Boer War the British built it (together with 4 other ones) as a position to protect the Concentration camp and Military Hospital. It was manned by the Barberton Town guard which consisted of local volunteers.